Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Perception Deviation

A couple of years ago my parents moved out to the Island.  There were a couple of months between when they moved out there an when I was planning on visiting them, and during that time we phoned each other regularly. 

Every time I spoke with my mom, she was telling me about all the great things I just had to see and do when I went out there, all the places we had to eat at. And, she was supper excited about the fresh fish, particularly a new type she had seen advertised but never tried, the inat fish.  Apparently, there was a sign my parents drove by regularly that advertised what fish would be for sale when the boats came in and inat was always listed, and it was only five dollars a pound.

That summer I finally made it out to the Island.  The second day I was there we drove by the fish sign I had heard so much about, and there it was, inat.  Only when I looked at the sign, I didn't see what my mom saw.  Instead of inat fish for sale for five dollars, I read it as "In At 5:00".  The famous inat fish for five dollars, was actually the time the boats would be in at, in this case 5:00 o'clock.

Life Lesson: Not everyone sees things the same way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment