Sunday, July 29, 2012

This Sibling Decoupling

For whatever reason, the song "I'm Sexy and I Know It" became very popular at my school this year.

Now, there is a certain pair of brothers at my school. One 10 years old, a little more quiet, a nice kid, but fairly reserved off of the sports field and shy with people he doesn't know, and one 7 years old, generally more outgoing, the class clown, always with something to say.  Both of their reactions to the song came as a complete surprise to me.

One day in Drama class, the older brother and one of the other grade 4 boys were asked to get out some chairs for a game.  The teacher had his back turned, and heard a sudden outburst of laughter from the rest of the class.  He turned around and saw the boys up on the chairs, singing "I'm Sexy and I Know It" and doing the 'wiggle, wiggle, wiggle' dance.

A while later, I overheard a conversation between the younger brother and his gym teacher, Cali.  "Cali," he said, "have you seen the video for 'I'm Sexy and I Know It'?"  Cali told him she had, and with all seriousness he looked at her and said "You shouldn't be watching it.  It is VERY inappropriate."  A little taken aback, Cali asked him why the video was in appropriate.  He said "There's this guy who is dancing, and then he takes his pants off, and he's just in his underwear, and his crotch is really big, and that makes it inappropriate".  At this point, his friend (always the voice of reason) piped up and said "Well, maybe there's a potato in there".

Life Lesson: People can, and will, surprise you.     

No comments:

Post a Comment