Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Safety Tub Anomoly

Recently, I made a trip down east to visit my godfather.  He lives in a retirement residence, and visitors can book rooms to stay in.  The room I was staying in had tub designed for people with limited mobility.  A little intimidating at first, given that the control panel was more complicated than my cell phone, but I found the instructions and was soon enjoying myself.

Now, the tub was the type that you had to sit down in, so I was.  But, partway in, I realized I was perched on the seat, not really reclining and relaxing.  So, I decided to try and get more comfortable.  By my logic, the wet seat would be slippery, and with just a little push, I would slide down it to a more comfortable position. 

Turns out, my logic was flawed - it wasn't the seat that was slippery, it was the bottom of the tub that was.  I pushed back, and out went my feet from underneath me.  My butt slammed down on the seat, bruising my tailbone and jolting my previously injured ribs, and my foot made contact with the faucet, slicing it open.

Surveying the damage, I had to chuckle.  Only I could manage such a grand injury in a tub designed to prevent accidents.

Life Lesson: Irony. It will get you.

No comments:

Post a Comment